Friday, January 6, 2012

idiot drivers everywhere

No, this isn't us, but i needed a photo to illustrate this post. We hit the road fairly late in the day yesterday, thankful that the whiteout conditions of the morning gave way to sun and clear roads by midday.

I got to our meeting spot a few minutes before 4, our appointed meeting time, and parked. No G, so i texted her.

"Where r u?"
"Almost."
"Hurry!! I have gossip!"
"Coming!"
"Go faster!"
"I can't!"
"Hurry hurry!"
"Hurry already, where r u???"
"Hurry!"
"At red light" (and she sends me a photo as proof)
20 seconds later...
"Why aren't you here yet?"
10 seconds go by, still no G.
"Hurry!! Where are you?"
"SHUT UP!"
4:02 (about 10 seconds later), still no sign of her.
"U r late"
she rolls in just as my clock hits 4:03... ready to strangle me. I of course am thoroughly enjoying myself and laughing my butt off. This is gonna be a fun ride. And it was - and i think we only punched each other in the arm once! (Mine is still tender. Tho that could be the crazy bicep workout we did too... hmmm...)

Not 15 miles from home we got stuck in a jam, crawling along past an accident. Car off the road in the median, nose down, sides all smooshed. Border crossing was quick, and so was the Champlain bridge, surprisingly enough. Practice was awesome.. G did the circuit, I paddled my heart out on the erg as I am still strapped in my stupid walking boot for 3 more weeks. We both sweated off at least 10 pounds and hit the road home.

After wolfing down our sandwiches we started reminiscing about the year behind us, our first year with the team... all the driving, the laughing, the crying, the frustrations, the anxieties.. but most of all the laughing.

"Yeah, we've had some amazing times together."
"Not to mention a near death experience..."
"And... HOLY SHIT WHAT THE $#*( MOTHER(&$)&)%!!!"
"ARRRRRGH ASSSSSSSSHOOOOOLEEE!!"

Yup right at that moment (ironic non?) some idiot coming out of a parking lot on a dark little road almost T-boned us. Luckily G had her wits about her, despite all the sentimental lovey talk, swerved nimbly and jammed down on the accelerator. Tragedy averted. PHEW!

So now that we've gotten THIS year's near death experience out of the way... let's get on with the rest :)

[8 days to the fit test...]

No comments:

Post a Comment