Sunday, October 21, 2012

what's next? a movie of course!

As if we weren't having enough fun... now we get to be in a movie too!

I may have mentioned this earlier this summer - at one of our Montreal competitions footage was taken for an upcoming documentary about our sport. It will include a lot of athletes, but our team will have an extra special focus as I understand it. Check out this trailer - it's just beautifully done. Can't wait to see the full thing!

And while we wait, we continue to train. Coach has cranked things up for us... the workouts are killer. Today I wanted to die.. and give up (for a moment anyway).. and then I remembered what I was doing all this for... and suddenly giving up was no longer an option.

On Friday, my daughter joined G and I at the gym - it was G's birthday and we decided to have a little fun with it. So when I saw a Zumba class on the schedule, I thought why not? G was enthusiastic. "YEAH!! We can shake it up on my birthday! Woohoo!"

When my kid heard what we were plotting, she was all over it too. "I love Zumba! I wanna come!" Ok, she had no school, so sure why not.

But first she had to endure a weight workout with the twins.

I think we got her to try the bench press once, and she managed a set of 10 assisted chinups. And a few medicine ball tosses and squats, but for the most part she just watched us do our thing, and helped time our planks. I think she got a new appreciation for her mom and auntie that day... :)

After our workout we rested a little and double checked the schedule.

"Hey G?" I said, "what does Zumba Gold mean?"
"Old."
"No not old, GOLD," I clarified.
"It means OLD. Don't tell me you picked Zumba Gold for us!"
"Um, well, yeah, it's the only one on the schedule..." Sheepish grins followed by loud bellowing laughter ensued. My 16-year-old looked horrified. "Really? It means THAT?"
"Are they gonna let us do it mom? Are we too young?"
HAHAHAHA. Sweet kid.

Sure enough, it was Zumba with the senior crowd, but I think that may have actually been a blessing in disguise. Slower pace and less intimidating. I have two left feet when it comes to any sort of choreography... you should have seen me in the 80s trying to keep up with exercise videos in my living room... ugh. Anyway... this was marginally better. (NO they didn't throw us out, they welcomed us with open arms.) I only hit the equipment stacked up at the perimeter walls three times I think. My neighbor, a sweet lady with a tolerant smile got fed up at that point and tried to move a few stacks of aerobic steps out of my way lest there be a fourth hit.

"This is a great workout!" G mouthed at me. My kid was smiling, her fear gone, tho later she said to me "I didn't really get a workout mom, and you and G were sweating!"  When I reminded her that she couldn't hack our earlier workout... then it was her smiling rather ruefully. Hee.

Of course G wants to go back -- and to the high energy regular class, that is pretty much packed wall to wall with coordinated bodies. Guess I better find me some youtube videos and practice ...

No comments:

Post a Comment