Wednesday, July 27, 2011

not your usual border crossing

We roll up to the border. Thin, older, sour-looking, freckle-faced man in the little yellow booth takes our IDs and asks the standard question.

"Where do you live?"
"Burlington and South Burlington."
"How do you know each other?"
"This is my friend and team mate."
"What were you doing in Canada?"
"Dragon boat practice."
"Dragon boat." It wasn't a question. His eyes narrowed. His face got sourer. "What charity event was it?"
"Oh no charity event.We are part of a regular team, and we had a practice."
"No event? Were you working?"
"No, just practicing. But we have a charity event in a couple of weekends in Burlington."
His eyes just bore into me. Make me squirm a bit. "Are you asking me to come?"
"Err... sure!" I say and laugh, not really sure what the correct response is. If it's even possible his eyes narrow a tad more...
"You can't hit on a federal officer when he's on duty you know."
Seriously? Goodness!
"I'm sorry. It won't happen again."
"OK then, here you go," he says handing back our IDs, "have a good night."

No comments:

Post a Comment